Our goal is to help undocumented and DACAmented students find the financial support they need to be successful at the University of Michigan. There is limited U-M need-based financial aid for undergraduate undocumented students who qualify for in-state tuition at U-M.

For assistance with financial aid, please contact Kristin Bhaumik at the Office of Financial Aid ( or (734) 763-6600). You can also visit U-M Office of Financial Aid for more information specific to undocumented students.

Although undocumented students cannot legally receive any federally funded student financial aid, including federal loans, grants and scholarships, there are some private scholarships for undocumented students. These do not require students to be U.S. citizens or residents. 

The following organizations have scholarships for undocumented and DACAmented students. This list contains scholarships for both undergraduate and graduate students:




In this time of uncertainty surrounding immigration in our country, we want to reinforce the university’s support and advocacy for the many undocumented or DACA students who attend, or hope to attend, the University of Michigan. The university is committed to continuing its need-based grant funding for undocumented students. Consistent with federal and state law, DACA students and those without proof of citizenship are welcome to seek admission and enrollment at U-M. We embrace the words of support from U-M President Mark Schlissel: “You make us a stronger university and enrich our community and nation by your many talents, hard work, and the diverse perspectives and life experiences you bring to campus.”

Dr. Kedra Ishop, Vice Provost for Enrollment Management
University of Michigan – Ann Arbor​


Disclaimer: The information contained in these pages is for informational purposes and does not constitute legal advice. Each individual case is different, and advice may vary depending on the situation. Further, the law and policy considerations are changing on a regular basis, and the information contained herein may not be updated as needed to maintain accuracy in a changing legal landscape. If you have questions about this or any other legal issue, you are advised to seek the advice of a qualified immigration attorney.